Friday, March 27, 2009

Los Guachimontones

Well on Thursday we were able to go to the Guachimontones. It was so much fun and pretty cool to imagine what happened there. For those who don't know about the Guachimontones, it is a location in Jalisco, Mexico. They are a series of circular pyramids created either 1000 B.C. or 300 B.C. The tour guide and Wikipedia were in disagreeance on that. At any rate, I zoned out a few times while I was there. There wasn't much to look at. It was cool and all, but my zoning out was thinking of the people that created these pyramids and this culture. After much thought I realized that it was probably the Jaredites in their migration to the north. It was so cool. I can't express that enough how amazing it was to be there and to know that. The archeologists haven't decided who was the group of people, except that they were an ancient people to this area. Of course, but luckily I know! And even if it wasn't the Jaredites, it would still be the Nephites or the Lamanites. But I doubt that by 300 B.C. the Nephites or Lamanites would have migrated so far north by that point. It was so cool. I'm excited to go there again with my parents and be able to discuss things out loud as opposed to in my head. Tomorrow we are going to Guanajuato, another ancient city. I'm excited to go there, too.

In other notes, Onna and I found a place to live! At first the rent was a little more than we wanted to spend, but I called the owner and explained it to him and he was fine with the rent that we wanted. It was nice, and it was exciting for us. The cool thing is that it is an old house, but an entirely new inside. He gutted the whole house and will put in all brand new appliances. We are excited. It feels like its a house that we built. Onna will move in there on June 1 more or less in preparation for our wedding at the end of July. How exciting!



No comments: